Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Jonathan Cooper could return this season
"I think 10 would be stretching it, but 12 weeks would potentially give him six games (this season)," the coach told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday.
The team's first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was penciled in to be the team's starting left guard this season. Veteran Daryn Colledge, who battled an injury early in camp but was to play right guard, will move into Cooper's spot, and Paul Fanaika will move into Colledge's.
"Daryn Colledge's injury was a blessing now, because we got to look at Paul and we're convinced Paul can win," Arians said. "And then that competition made Daryn better when he got back. Now, we know Daryn can play left guard, and Daryn knows he can play left guard...that part shouldn't be a problem."
Arians' faith stems from the depth the team built in the offseason and is continuing to build. But, while the coach said you don't like to see that depth tested via injury, he believes his offensive line can withstand losing Cooper for an extended period of time.
"We feel very comfortable where we're at right now," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.