Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 4:08 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach: Running game a bright spot in Saturday's loss
Besides the loss, his Arizona Cardinals struggled with penalties, catching the football and injuries.
However, one positive to come from the team's third preseason game was the running game, which accounted for 120 yards on just 18 carries.
Rashard Mendenhall led the way with 47 yards on six totes, but Alfonso Smith, Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington all had some success, too.
"It was an excellent job of the blocking unit -- including the wide receivers," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday. "They did a much better job blocking their guys, and then the longer runs started to show up."
Arians added that he knows Mendenhall, who played for him in Pittsburgh, understands the team's offense, but it was good to see the other backs make strides there, too.
"They're starting to see when to bounce it, when to cut it back and where the creases are going to be and trusting it," he said. "It was a much better performance, as far as our whole blocking unit."
But besides just seeing the production, Arians noted it was good to see Williams back on the field and playing well. The third-year pro had missed most of training camp battling knee soreness, and seems to have a tenuous hold on a roster spot. In fact, it's been reported that he is currently being shopped in hopes of a trade.
"I was really happy; Ryan looked like himself," Arians said. "He hit it up in there good, and he's going to start this week and try to catch him back up to speed."
As for the trade talk?
"As I told the guys," Arians mused, "the only thing we're preparing him for is help him help me shop for my groceries."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.