Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 4:08 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach: Running game a bright spot in Saturday's loss
Besides the loss, his Arizona Cardinals struggled with penalties, catching the football and injuries.
However, one positive to come from the team's third preseason game was the running game, which accounted for 120 yards on just 18 carries.
Rashard Mendenhall led the way with 47 yards on six totes, but Alfonso Smith, Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington all had some success, too.
"It was an excellent job of the blocking unit -- including the wide receivers," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday. "They did a much better job blocking their guys, and then the longer runs started to show up."
Arians added that he knows Mendenhall, who played for him in Pittsburgh, understands the team's offense, but it was good to see the other backs make strides there, too.
"They're starting to see when to bounce it, when to cut it back and where the creases are going to be and trusting it," he said. "It was a much better performance, as far as our whole blocking unit."
But besides just seeing the production, Arians noted it was good to see Williams back on the field and playing well. The third-year pro had missed most of training camp battling knee soreness, and seems to have a tenuous hold on a roster spot. In fact, it's been reported that he is currently being shopped in hopes of a trade.
"I was really happy; Ryan looked like himself," Arians said. "He hit it up in there good, and he's going to start this week and try to catch him back up to speed."
As for the trade talk?
"As I told the guys," Arians mused, "the only thing we're preparing him for is help him help me shop for my groceries."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- A 'confident' Andre Ellington excited about increased role with Arizona Cardinals
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Fighting not tolerated in Cardinals camp
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.