Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 4:08 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach: Running game a bright spot in Saturday's loss
Besides the loss, his Arizona Cardinals struggled with penalties, catching the football and injuries.
However, one positive to come from the team's third preseason game was the running game, which accounted for 120 yards on just 18 carries.
Rashard Mendenhall led the way with 47 yards on six totes, but Alfonso Smith, Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington all had some success, too.
"It was an excellent job of the blocking unit -- including the wide receivers," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday. "They did a much better job blocking their guys, and then the longer runs started to show up."
Arians added that he knows Mendenhall, who played for him in Pittsburgh, understands the team's offense, but it was good to see the other backs make strides there, too.
"They're starting to see when to bounce it, when to cut it back and where the creases are going to be and trusting it," he said. "It was a much better performance, as far as our whole blocking unit."
But besides just seeing the production, Arians noted it was good to see Williams back on the field and playing well. The third-year pro had missed most of training camp battling knee soreness, and seems to have a tenuous hold on a roster spot. In fact, it's been reported that he is currently being shopped in hopes of a trade.
"I was really happy; Ryan looked like himself," Arians said. "He hit it up in there good, and he's going to start this week and try to catch him back up to speed."
As for the trade talk?
"As I told the guys," Arians mused, "the only thing we're preparing him for is help him help me shop for my groceries."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves