Tight end Richard Quinn looking to catch on with Arizona Cardinals
The four-year veteran was cut by the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday and found a new home, signing with the Arizona Cardinals just two days later.
"Yeah, this is the first phone call I got," Quinn said following practice Tuesday. "I got here right away. I'm glad to be here, first day of practice I tried to get acclimated to everything."
Quinn says coming to Arizona is more than just a change of jersey color.
"I remember checking the weather before I got here, I just was curious to see about this Arizona temperature, and I was like 'wow!' My biggest thing is trying to stay hydrated and get acclimated to the weather," he said.
Quinn joins a group of Cardinals tight ends that are competing for jobs. Outside of starter Rob Housler, who injured an ankle during Saturday's loss to the San Diego Chargers, there is plenty of uncertainty on the depth chart.
"I'm just trying to compete, I'm not really worried about too much," Quinn said. "I'm just trying to learn the system as quickly as I can and get ready for the season."
It also didn't take long for the newest Cardinal to catch his coach's eye.
"He's a thumper, you know, a tight end blocker," head coach Bruce Arians said. "He caught a couple good balls at practice today, so he's got a chance."
Quinn played in two preseason games for the Bengals before his release, catching two passes for 19 yards.
In his NFL career, he has one receptions for nine yards.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.