Arizona Cardinals place Jonathan Cooper on injured reserve
Cooper, who broke his left leg in the team's third preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, was placed on season-ending injured reserve Friday.
"Probably the only difference so far is the decision to put Jonathan on IR rather than wait with the prognosis," head coach Bruce Arians said Friday. "The latest prognosis would be 12 [weeks] at the earliest, and I just don't feel like it's fair to our football team in case we get somebody who can come back sooner if there is another injury.
"We felt we needed to keep that spot open. As much as we want to get Jonathan back, the chances of him getting back and getting in football shape weren't as realistic as we had hoped for."
It's a tough blow for both the team and player. Taken with the seventh pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was expected to help anchor a revamped offensive line.
"He's disappointed in the whole situation," Arians said of Cooper. "His biggest thing right now is getting off that bicycle he's carrying his leg on and trying to get healthy."
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.