Patrick Peterson gives Arizona Cardinals depth chart flexibility
Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Jaron Brown make up the group of wideouts, while the cornerbacks are Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, Justin Bethel, Javier Arenas and Jamell Fleming.
But really, it's more like five wide receivers and six defensive backs, because Patrick Peterson plays both positions.
A third-year pro, Peterson spent a considerable amount of time this training camp working on his offensive game, and he's progressed to a point where the head coach does not see a need to add another "real" receiver to the roster.
"We practiced him a bunch, and being able to six corners, he can fill in a couple spots on offense," Arians said Monday.
So, the first-year head coach said the team is set at the WR spot, unless a "very special" player becomes available, and it's something Peterson feels is "pretty cool."
"I kind of teased Larry (Fitzgerald) today about it," Peterson said Monday. "He's like, 'technically, you're our fifth receiver.'"
Peterson views playing on both sides of the football as a great opportunity that will allow him to continue to grow as a player. But to play both sides, Peterson admitted he's had to adjust how he prepares for the season.
"I want to continue taking care of my body, my legs in general," he said. "Because at the end of the day, those are my money-makers.
"And especially being a defensive back going backwards and going to offense running forward, you can have a lot of hamstring injuries, so I want to make sure I take care of my lower half of my body and continue to get in the cold tub and doing all the necessary preparation I need to do to make sure that I'm ready for Sunday."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?