Patrick Peterson gives Arizona Cardinals depth chart flexibility
Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Jaron Brown make up the group of wideouts, while the cornerbacks are Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, Justin Bethel, Javier Arenas and Jamell Fleming.
But really, it's more like five wide receivers and six defensive backs, because Patrick Peterson plays both positions.
A third-year pro, Peterson spent a considerable amount of time this training camp working on his offensive game, and he's progressed to a point where the head coach does not see a need to add another "real" receiver to the roster.
"We practiced him a bunch, and being able to six corners, he can fill in a couple spots on offense," Arians said Monday.
So, the first-year head coach said the team is set at the WR spot, unless a "very special" player becomes available, and it's something Peterson feels is "pretty cool."
"I kind of teased Larry (Fitzgerald) today about it," Peterson said Monday. "He's like, 'technically, you're our fifth receiver.'"
Peterson views playing on both sides of the football as a great opportunity that will allow him to continue to grow as a player. But to play both sides, Peterson admitted he's had to adjust how he prepares for the season.
"I want to continue taking care of my body, my legs in general," he said. "Because at the end of the day, those are my money-makers.
"And especially being a defensive back going backwards and going to offense running forward, you can have a lot of hamstring injuries, so I want to make sure I take care of my lower half of my body and continue to get in the cold tub and doing all the necessary preparation I need to do to make sure that I'm ready for Sunday."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.