Patrick Peterson gives Arizona Cardinals depth chart flexibility
Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Jaron Brown make up the group of wideouts, while the cornerbacks are Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers, Antoine Cason, Justin Bethel, Javier Arenas and Jamell Fleming.
But really, it's more like five wide receivers and six defensive backs, because Patrick Peterson plays both positions.
A third-year pro, Peterson spent a considerable amount of time this training camp working on his offensive game, and he's progressed to a point where the head coach does not see a need to add another "real" receiver to the roster.
"We practiced him a bunch, and being able to six corners, he can fill in a couple spots on offense," Arians said Monday.
So, the first-year head coach said the team is set at the WR spot, unless a "very special" player becomes available, and it's something Peterson feels is "pretty cool."
"I kind of teased Larry (Fitzgerald) today about it," Peterson said Monday. "He's like, 'technically, you're our fifth receiver.'"
Peterson views playing on both sides of the football as a great opportunity that will allow him to continue to grow as a player. But to play both sides, Peterson admitted he's had to adjust how he prepares for the season.
"I want to continue taking care of my body, my legs in general," he said. "Because at the end of the day, those are my money-makers.
"And especially being a defensive back going backwards and going to offense running forward, you can have a lot of hamstring injuries, so I want to make sure I take care of my lower half of my body and continue to get in the cold tub and doing all the necessary preparation I need to do to make sure that I'm ready for Sunday."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.