Dumpster Dan is a fulcrum
Cards 1-Technique, Dan Williams, can empathize. Dumpster Dan has been in the middle of the maelstrom since he came into the league in 2010 as a first-round draft pick. And the Cardinals believe he is the fulcrum for their rush defense in 2013.
Williams has been beat up and banged up in his three years with the Cards, missing eight games during that dispensation, and the difference on the line of scrimmage is palpable when he isn't playing. Williams is 327 pounds and capable of holding up at the point of attack. He had his most productive season last year, recording 33 solo tackles and 44 combined. He has lost a considerable amount of weight, which allows him to move down the line and make plays via pursuit, but still has the butt and gut to stand in the breach.
As the Cards prepare to open their season on the road in St. Louis this Sunday, it's good to see Williams is practicing and believes he'll be at full speed by game day. The left ankle that has given him problems throughout his career is healing well and this is great news for Arizona.
Although the reports out of St. Louis say the Rams are going to move away from being a run-first team, something their color analyst confirmed on the Doug & Wolf Show, I don't believe those reports. And, for the record, neither does Williams and teammate Calais Campbell. They told me as much during the Big Red Rage broadcast Wednesday night.
Sunday is going to reveal the strengths and weaknesses of this football team. If Williams is healthy, don't expect their rush defense to be a weakness.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b