ESPN analyst: Arizona Cardinals will compete for a playoff spot
Their struggles led to the removal of both head coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Rod Graves from their positions. To replace them, the team went and promoted Steve Keim to GM and hired Bruce Arians as coach.
Then, the two of them went about remaking the roster.
Heading into their Week 1 matchup with the St. Louis Rams, the Cardinals will feature 26 players -- nearly half the roster -- who were not with the team last season.
The amount of turnover makes sense, as not only did the Cardinals need a talent upgrade, but it's also a scenario Arians is familiar with.
"I love all the moves they made, I really do," ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "I'm going to look back and say Bruce Arians went through this last year in Indianapolis."
Last year, Arians was hired as the offensive coordinator for a team that won just two games the previous season. The Colts' housecleaning included the release of future Hall of Fame QB Peyton Manning, among others, and not much was expected of the squad.
Then, head coach Chuck Pagano had to take a leave of absence from the team due to leukemia, Arians took over on an interim basis, and the Colts went on to win 11 games and reach the playoffs.
While that specific set of circumstances was rather unique, Jaworski noted that the idea of that much roster turnover leading to success is not something that can't be replicated.
"From day one, Bruce Arians and Chuck Pagano in Indianpolis, they didn't care what the record was the year before," he said. "They believed in the team they had put together; it wasn't a rebuilding...much like Indianapolis did a year ago, went to the playoffs, I look at this Arizona team right now. A lot of change, but a lot of quality football players.
"This could be a playoff contender."
Of course, Jaworski noted plenty would have to go right for the Cardinals to reach the postseason, but says they did enough to get themselves into the conversation.
"This is still a good football team that will compete for a playoff spot."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b