ESPN analyst: Carson Palmer a 'huge addition' to Arizona Cardinals
Is he a former Heisman Trophy winner and number one overall draft pick who just needed to be in a quality environment to succeed, or is he a washed up 33-year-old whose arm strength isn't what it once was?
The Cardinals are banking on him being the first option, and ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski tends to agree.
"I view him very highly," Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "He got lost in the Black Hole. Oakland is an absolute mess; he had no chance, whatsoever.
Jaworski noted that Palmer spent more playing from behind last year than any QB in the league, which certainly did not help the passer succeed.
But even with that, Palmer still completed 61.1 percent of his passes for more than 4,000 yards with 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Though the Raiders went 4-11 with him as a starter, many believe the team's struggles were not the quarterback's fault.
"It's difficult to compete at a high level when you're always playing uphill," Jaworski said. "Carson Palmer still has a tremendous skill-set, and I know Bruce wants to get the ball down the field. He doesn't like that dink-and-dunk type stuff.
"So he's got the guy that can still throw the ball with accuracy down the field, has a good, quick release."
Acquired for practically nothing in the offseason, the Cardinals are hoping the veteran will rediscover what made him successful in Cincinnati playing alongside skill position talents like Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Rob Housler.
Jaworski thinks he will, and that those pass catchers will be very happy with the guy tasked with getting them the ball.
"These guys will get the football, they will get it accurately, they will be able to run after the catch," he said. "Carson Palmer is a huge addition to this team."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!