Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald: Nervous, confident in team heading into Week 1
As the receiver embarks on his 10th NFL season -- all with the Arizona Cardinals -- the seven-time Pro Bowler said last season's struggles do not serve as any kind of motivation now. Instead, he just wants to move on.
"When you look in the rearview mirror it's hard for you to see what's going on in front of you," he said after practice Thursday. "Obviously I'm aware of what happened last year and I don't ever want to repeat last year, I don't want to repeat the past.
"Moving forward, I have to focus on what's asked of from my teammates and my coaching staff, and I can't give them my complete focus thinking about stuff like that."
What happened last season was well-documented.
Fitzgerald had arguably the worst season of his career, tallying just 71 receptions for 798 yards and four touchdowns. The reception and yardage totals were the lowest since his rookie season, and the four scores were a career-worst mark.
But that was last year.
This year begins, officially, Sunday as the Cardinals head to St. Louis to take on the Rams. And, Fitzgerald admitted, he's nervous.
"The nerves make you realize that you're human, we're all looking forward to it," Fitzgerald said. "It's a great opportunity, a division opponent, a team that played the best amongst division opponents last year.
"It's going to be a great challenge for us."
But, it's one he feels the team is ready for.
"I feel like we're in a pretty good position," he said of the offense, noting that the team must improve in the red zone but feels like they have and will show it in the regular season. "We need to be clicking on all cylinders; when we have our opportunities we need to capitalize."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals lose Tyrann Mathieu for season, maybe longer
- Bradley Sowell, offensive line bounce back for Arizona Cardinals
- What a difference a year makes for Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?