Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald: Nervous, confident in team heading into Week 1
As the receiver embarks on his 10th NFL season -- all with the Arizona Cardinals -- the seven-time Pro Bowler said last season's struggles do not serve as any kind of motivation now. Instead, he just wants to move on.
"When you look in the rearview mirror it's hard for you to see what's going on in front of you," he said after practice Thursday. "Obviously I'm aware of what happened last year and I don't ever want to repeat last year, I don't want to repeat the past.
"Moving forward, I have to focus on what's asked of from my teammates and my coaching staff, and I can't give them my complete focus thinking about stuff like that."
What happened last season was well-documented.
Fitzgerald had arguably the worst season of his career, tallying just 71 receptions for 798 yards and four touchdowns. The reception and yardage totals were the lowest since his rookie season, and the four scores were a career-worst mark.
But that was last year.
This year begins, officially, Sunday as the Cardinals head to St. Louis to take on the Rams. And, Fitzgerald admitted, he's nervous.
"The nerves make you realize that you're human, we're all looking forward to it," Fitzgerald said. "It's a great opportunity, a division opponent, a team that played the best amongst division opponents last year.
"It's going to be a great challenge for us."
But, it's one he feels the team is ready for.
"I feel like we're in a pretty good position," he said of the offense, noting that the team must improve in the red zone but feels like they have and will show it in the regular season. "We need to be clicking on all cylinders; when we have our opportunities we need to capitalize."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.