Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald: Nervous, confident in team heading into Week 1
As the receiver embarks on his 10th NFL season -- all with the Arizona Cardinals -- the seven-time Pro Bowler said last season's struggles do not serve as any kind of motivation now. Instead, he just wants to move on.
"When you look in the rearview mirror it's hard for you to see what's going on in front of you," he said after practice Thursday. "Obviously I'm aware of what happened last year and I don't ever want to repeat last year, I don't want to repeat the past.
"Moving forward, I have to focus on what's asked of from my teammates and my coaching staff, and I can't give them my complete focus thinking about stuff like that."
What happened last season was well-documented.
Fitzgerald had arguably the worst season of his career, tallying just 71 receptions for 798 yards and four touchdowns. The reception and yardage totals were the lowest since his rookie season, and the four scores were a career-worst mark.
But that was last year.
This year begins, officially, Sunday as the Cardinals head to St. Louis to take on the Rams. And, Fitzgerald admitted, he's nervous.
"The nerves make you realize that you're human, we're all looking forward to it," Fitzgerald said. "It's a great opportunity, a division opponent, a team that played the best amongst division opponents last year.
"It's going to be a great challenge for us."
But, it's one he feels the team is ready for.
"I feel like we're in a pretty good position," he said of the offense, noting that the team must improve in the red zone but feels like they have and will show it in the regular season. "We need to be clicking on all cylinders; when we have our opportunities we need to capitalize."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?