Most experts picking the St. Louis Rams to beat the Arizona Cardinals in Week 1
The Rams are one of the youngest teams in the league, but most experts still like their chances at home against the Cardinals this week.
On ESPN, only two out of 14 experts think the Cardinals will win in Week 1.
On CBSSports.com, the Cardinals fared a little better: Four out of eight analysts think they will win this week.
Pete Prisco, who thinks the Rams will win 27-21, had this to say:
These two are improved from a year ago, and one of them might be able to make a playoff push. Both teams have good defenses, so it's all about the quarterback play. Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford have to get off to good starts. I think it will be Bradford who does it in the home opener here. The Rams pass rush might be too much for Palmer.
On Yahoo! Sports, both Frank Schwab and Les Carpenter pick the Rams to win.
On Fox Sports, only one of five experts picked Arizona to prevail in St. Louis.
Don Banks of Sports Illustrated picks St. Louis to win 27-20.
Watch the two rookies in this one: Rams receiver Tavon Austin and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu. They should go head-to-head plenty when Austin lines up in the slot. I bet they both make their share of plays, but Austin and the Rams will make a few more.
Both writers on NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk pick St. Louis to win. PFT's Michael David Smith says it will be a close, low-scoring game (17-12 Rams), but Mike Florio thinks St. Louis will win 30-20.
Both teams have improved, even though it may not be enough to contend with the Seahawks and 49ers. For now, the Rams are better at more positions than Arizona — with an offense that can be prolific and a defense that is underrated. St. Louis went 4-1-1 in the division last year. They start 2013 at 1-0 in the NFC West.
It's clear the Cardinals head into St. Louis as the underdog, at least according to media experts, against a similarly matched Rams squad.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.