Cardinals wide receiver Andre Roberts steps up with big game in 2013 opener
Call it the product of having another year of experience or the result of having a competent quarterback behind center, but Roberts opened 2013 with a bang and a bit of a coming out party in Arizona's 27-24 loss to St. Louis Sunday, grabbing eight passes for a team-high 97 yards.
Of his eight catches, four came during third down situations.
"I'm sure I had every single one of them," Roberts said of his confidence on the field. "That's what I want to do for my quarterback. Any time he throws me the ball, I want to come down with it."
The former Citadel standout did just that, as he converted on eight of nine passes thrown his way -- including several that required athletic dives to the turf.
Big game or not, Roberts still didn't sound too impressed with himself or the team after the game.
"There were a few touch catches," said Roberts. "But at the end of the day, all I do is look at the scoreboard. [The catches] are all for naught, we're trying to win the game."
For a first game, though, Roberts, who had a career-high 759 yards receiving and five touchdowns in 2012, admitted there were some positives to take away from the loss -- at least in the passing game.
"It was pretty good," said Roberts. "Obviously, we could do better. We always want to do better and left some things out there. But right now we just want to work and get better. It was just our first game."
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!