Cardinals wide receiver Andre Roberts steps up with big game in 2013 opener
Call it the product of having another year of experience or the result of having a competent quarterback behind center, but Roberts opened 2013 with a bang and a bit of a coming out party in Arizona's 27-24 loss to St. Louis Sunday, grabbing eight passes for a team-high 97 yards.
Of his eight catches, four came during third down situations.
"I'm sure I had every single one of them," Roberts said of his confidence on the field. "That's what I want to do for my quarterback. Any time he throws me the ball, I want to come down with it."
The former Citadel standout did just that, as he converted on eight of nine passes thrown his way -- including several that required athletic dives to the turf.
Big game or not, Roberts still didn't sound too impressed with himself or the team after the game.
"There were a few touch catches," said Roberts. "But at the end of the day, all I do is look at the scoreboard. [The catches] are all for naught, we're trying to win the game."
For a first game, though, Roberts, who had a career-high 759 yards receiving and five touchdowns in 2012, admitted there were some positives to take away from the loss -- at least in the passing game.
"It was pretty good," said Roberts. "Obviously, we could do better. We always want to do better and left some things out there. But right now we just want to work and get better. It was just our first game."
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.