Updated Sep 11, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Carson Palmer, Cardinals receivers pass first test
In that game, quarterback Carson Palmer completed 26-of-40 passes for 327 yards and two touchdowns, connecting on passes with eight different receivers.
Larry Fitzgerald caught eight passes for 80 yards and two touchdowns, Andre Roberts tallied eight receptions for 97 yards, and Michael Floyd hauled in four passes for 82 yards. While the effort may have surprised some -- especially after how things went last year -- it came as no shock to Palmer.
"Not surprising," he said Wednesday. "It was definitely good to see them do it in a regular season game, being our first time together, but I am not surprised whatsoever.
"I expect more out of those guys, I'll always tell them that."
Palmer said it comes down to the wideouts winning their one-on-one battles, which is something he expects of them and the players expect of themselves.
But having that many weapons in the passing game is certainly a luxury Palmer has rarely had in the NFL, and given head coach Bruce Arians' propensity for getting the most out of his passing game, it will likely prove to be an advantage for Arizona.
"He's a smart guy and he reads defenses real well," Roberts said of his quarterback. "He can see through defenses very well, so we expect him to do that and let all of us eat a little bit."
Roberts said everyone must be ready to receive the ball on any given play but, like Palmer, was well aware of what this passing offense was capable of all along.
"In the preseason you don't really get opportunity to play like we did against St. Louis," he said. "So that was a good first step for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.