Updated Sep 11, 2013 - 3:18 pm
Carson Palmer, Cardinals receivers pass first test
In that game, quarterback Carson Palmer completed 26-of-40 passes for 327 yards and two touchdowns, connecting on passes with eight different receivers.
Larry Fitzgerald caught eight passes for 80 yards and two touchdowns, Andre Roberts tallied eight receptions for 97 yards, and Michael Floyd hauled in four passes for 82 yards. While the effort may have surprised some -- especially after how things went last year -- it came as no shock to Palmer.
"Not surprising," he said Wednesday. "It was definitely good to see them do it in a regular season game, being our first time together, but I am not surprised whatsoever.
"I expect more out of those guys, I'll always tell them that."
Palmer said it comes down to the wideouts winning their one-on-one battles, which is something he expects of them and the players expect of themselves.
But having that many weapons in the passing game is certainly a luxury Palmer has rarely had in the NFL, and given head coach Bruce Arians' propensity for getting the most out of his passing game, it will likely prove to be an advantage for Arizona.
"He's a smart guy and he reads defenses real well," Roberts said of his quarterback. "He can see through defenses very well, so we expect him to do that and let all of us eat a little bit."
Roberts said everyone must be ready to receive the ball on any given play but, like Palmer, was well aware of what this passing offense was capable of all along.
"In the preseason you don't really get opportunity to play like we did against St. Louis," he said. "So that was a good first step for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Arizona Cardinals preseason: By The Numbers
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.