ESPN analyst: Arizona Cardinals' Levi Brown is not 'fixable' right now
And that's putting it nicely.
Brown surrendered three sacks to Rams defensive end Robert Quinn, two of which resulted in Carson Palmer fumbles.
"It seemed whenever there was a critical play in the game, it was Levi getting beat," ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "I think some of the onus to correct those things, obviously, Bruce Arians has to address it."
Jaworski said the coaching staff needs to understand that Brown will need help, meaning the team will have to keep a tight end or running back in to help block.
Doing that, though, forces Arians to adjust his game plan, limiting what the offense could attempt.
The question is not if Brown was bad, but whether or not the 29-year-old, former first round pick will get better. Having missed all of last season due to an injury, it's possible some rust needs to be shaken off.
However, Jaworski doesn't believe better days are on the way.
"I don't think it's fixable right now, I really don't," he said. "I don't know how you make a person's feet get quicker at this point in their career."
Jaworski noticed other issues in Brown's performance, and wonders how someone who is receiving as much coaching as the left tackle must be could have so many issues.
Yet, unless something drastic happens, Jaworski believes having Brown at left tackle will lead to bad things for Arizona.
"When you become a turnstyle and everyone is looking at that tape right now, saying, 'Man, I can't wait until we play the Arizona Cardinals,'" he said. "Guys are salivating to get to that side on the defensive end position or the linebacker position because they know they're going to make All-Pro in these few games."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.