Cardinals coach on Patrick Peterson's play against Calvin Johnson: 'I thought it was outstanding'
But outside of Johnson's 72-yard touchdown reception in the first half, head coach Bruce Arians came away rather impressed with the two-time Pro Bowler's performance against one of the league's most-talented wideouts.
"I thought it was outstanding," Arians told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta. "Just the fact that he wanted to [cover Johnson]. Most guys would shiver at that thought.
"They don't see man-to-man very often. I think it throws Matthew [Stafford] off when they're not double-teaming Calvin [Johnson], like where do I go with this football if he's not open?"
With the help of Peterson, who limited Johnson to two catches for 20 yards after halftime, the Cardinals' defense pitched a shutout over the final 30 minutes of play, forcing three 3-and-outs, a fumble and a turnover on downs in the process.
While the lack of a pass rush (one sack in two games) -- at least on paper -- appears to be a bit of a concern in 2013, Stafford's lack of production in the second half (8-for-16 for 70 yards and no touchdowns) was enough to convince Arians that things are just fine when it comes to the unit's ability to put pressure on the quarterback.
"We were able to pressure them," said Arians. "The sacks are a bit of a false security thing. As far as having one sack, we got after him a bunch of times."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.