Honey Badger continues to show
But he did it again. His tackle on Nate Burleson on fourth down to clinch Big Red's first victory of the 2013 season showed his playmaking ability. Watching it on film for the first time solidified my belief this trend will continue.
Honey Badger showed so much football acumen and awareness on that game-deciding play. He was in press man. Burleson was physical on the press and got the inside on a smash-route. But Tyrann knew exactly where Burleson was headed, jumped the route and made the tackle one yard short of the stakes.
But the tackle was special. Mathieu's body language showed the urgency and desperation of understanding, the understanding of the moment. The force he brought to bare on that tackle told me he knew right where he was on the field and knew if he just made that tackle the game was over! Honey Badger's size has always been a question, but it certainly didn't matter on that play. His tackle was strong and sure.
Finally, I asked Bruce Arians Tuesday how the Honey Badger played besides that play.
BA just looked at me, smiled, shook his head and said, "Really well."
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.