Honey Badger continues to show
But he did it again. His tackle on Nate Burleson on fourth down to clinch Big Red's first victory of the 2013 season showed his playmaking ability. Watching it on film for the first time solidified my belief this trend will continue.
Honey Badger showed so much football acumen and awareness on that game-deciding play. He was in press man. Burleson was physical on the press and got the inside on a smash-route. But Tyrann knew exactly where Burleson was headed, jumped the route and made the tackle one yard short of the stakes.
But the tackle was special. Mathieu's body language showed the urgency and desperation of understanding, the understanding of the moment. The force he brought to bare on that tackle told me he knew right where he was on the field and knew if he just made that tackle the game was over! Honey Badger's size has always been a question, but it certainly didn't matter on that play. His tackle was strong and sure.
Finally, I asked Bruce Arians Tuesday how the Honey Badger played besides that play.
BA just looked at me, smiled, shook his head and said, "Really well."
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.