Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu looking for winning homecoming
He was born there. He became a football star there.
However, some of the worst moments of life also happened in the state, including getting dismissed from his college football team prior to the 2012 season.
The Arizona Cardinals are heading to the Bayou to take on the New Orleans Saints, meaning this will be a homecoming of sorts for the team's third-round pick.
"It should be exciting," Mathieu said. "Family, friends, everybody gets to see you play, like those high school days."
Mathieu said it won't be nearly as much fun if his team doesn't win the game, which is the most important part of the trip. It's football only, meaning he's going to have to do his best to keep the many distractions that are sure to be present at bay. And, of course, any negative feelings, too, which is why the "Honey Badger" said he's going into the game with a positive mindset.
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians knows this game carries a little more with it for Mathieu than most, and he's shared some advice with the rookie.
"I know we've talked to him about distractions; he's basically going to play the football game and wave to everybody after the game," he said.
The 21-year-old, who has tallied 13 tackles along with one forced fumble this season, is fine with that. He just wants to show up, play well and leave with a win.
"Obviously I have a chance to play in front of my home town, but I also have a chance to get everybody back on my side," he said. "Those same people, when those negative things happened and said all those negative things about me.
"So like I said, I'm excited about it and hopefully all goes well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.