Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu looking for winning homecoming
He was born there. He became a football star there.
However, some of the worst moments of life also happened in the state, including getting dismissed from his college football team prior to the 2012 season.
The Arizona Cardinals are heading to the Bayou to take on the New Orleans Saints, meaning this will be a homecoming of sorts for the team's third-round pick.
"It should be exciting," Mathieu said. "Family, friends, everybody gets to see you play, like those high school days."
Mathieu said it won't be nearly as much fun if his team doesn't win the game, which is the most important part of the trip. It's football only, meaning he's going to have to do his best to keep the many distractions that are sure to be present at bay. And, of course, any negative feelings, too, which is why the "Honey Badger" said he's going into the game with a positive mindset.
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians knows this game carries a little more with it for Mathieu than most, and he's shared some advice with the rookie.
"I know we've talked to him about distractions; he's basically going to play the football game and wave to everybody after the game," he said.
The 21-year-old, who has tallied 13 tackles along with one forced fumble this season, is fine with that. He just wants to show up, play well and leave with a win.
"Obviously I have a chance to play in front of my home town, but I also have a chance to get everybody back on my side," he said. "Those same people, when those negative things happened and said all those negative things about me.
"So like I said, I'm excited about it and hopefully all goes well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?