Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald: 'I expect to play every Sunday'
"I expect to play every Sunday," the seven-time Pro Bowler said after practice Thursday as he was holding court amongst the team's offensive linemen.
Fitzgerald is dealing with the same hamstring injury that limited him in practice last week and forced him to miss the final minutes of Sunday's win over the Detroit Lions.
He said he "feels great," though, adding that he put in "a full day's workout" Thursday.
Fitzgerald spent time working on onside-kick coverage during the portion of practice that was open to the media.
Whether or not he'll suit up and play Sunday remains to be seen, and while Fitzgerald wasn't looking to give anything away, he did say that he does not subscribe to the school of thought that it may be best to sit out a week to let the hamstring heal.
"I've never been to that school before," he said.
Should Fitzgerald have to miss the game, the Cardinals will once again turn to young receivers Kerry Taylor and Jaron Brown to fill in.
The two combined for four catches and 51 yards against the Lions, and while neither is likely to be featured like Fitzgerald would be, both will need to step up if, in fact, the veteran can't play.
"Those guys are in the National Football League, so if you can't play you shouldn't be here," offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin said of the 'next man up' mentality. "Obviously, when he did come out of the game they had to step up."
Goodwin and Fitzgerald both expressed confidence in the younger receivers, though there is little doubt everyone would prefer the veteran not miss the game. It's a big one against a good team, and the Cardinals would certainly be better with No. 11 on the field.
"As a competitor you want to be out on the field, but it was great to see guys rewarded for their hard work and dedication to the team," Fitzgerald said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals sign a pair of defensive lineman
- All-Access with Arians: Dockett to have surgery, Mathieu and Ta'amu back
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.