ESPN's Clayton: Arizona Cardinals will be 'somewhere in the mix'
Two games into the campaign there are 1-1, with a close loss on the road to the Rams and a close win at home against the Detroit Lions.
Outside of Arizona the team is not generating much buzz, though, which as ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday morning, is just fine.
"They're sneaking up on people, and I think that's probably the best thing that Bruce Arians could hope for," he said. "Not have people have all the big expectations.
"But I think you can see the team's playing pretty well."
Clayton said the Cardinals have shown their passing game, with Carson Palmer, is much improved, and the defense that played well last season has not really dropped off.
Whether or not that will be enough to overtake any of the three teams projected to finish ahead of them remains to be seen, though Clayton believes the Cardinals will be in the race.
"You look at Arizona and you see a lot of good things are happening there," he said. "In this quagmire of close games...Arizona hasn't set itself apart, but you can see it's going to be somewhere in the mix."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Arizona Cardinals bring in veteran Max Starks for depth, not to replace Bobby Massie
- Arizona Cardinals sign tackle Max Starks, release two
- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer relishing opportunity in the desert
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.
- Jonathan Dwyer, Arizona Cardinals RB - Friday August 1Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer talks about coming to a new team.