ESPN's Clayton: Arizona Cardinals will be 'somewhere in the mix'
Two games into the campaign there are 1-1, with a close loss on the road to the Rams and a close win at home against the Detroit Lions.
Outside of Arizona the team is not generating much buzz, though, which as ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday morning, is just fine.
"They're sneaking up on people, and I think that's probably the best thing that Bruce Arians could hope for," he said. "Not have people have all the big expectations.
"But I think you can see the team's playing pretty well."
Clayton said the Cardinals have shown their passing game, with Carson Palmer, is much improved, and the defense that played well last season has not really dropped off.
Whether or not that will be enough to overtake any of the three teams projected to finish ahead of them remains to be seen, though Clayton believes the Cardinals will be in the race.
"You look at Arizona and you see a lot of good things are happening there," he said. "In this quagmire of close games...Arizona hasn't set itself apart, but you can see it's going to be somewhere in the mix."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.