ESPN's Clayton: Arizona Cardinals will be 'somewhere in the mix'
Two games into the campaign there are 1-1, with a close loss on the road to the Rams and a close win at home against the Detroit Lions.
Outside of Arizona the team is not generating much buzz, though, which as ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday morning, is just fine.
"They're sneaking up on people, and I think that's probably the best thing that Bruce Arians could hope for," he said. "Not have people have all the big expectations.
"But I think you can see the team's playing pretty well."
Clayton said the Cardinals have shown their passing game, with Carson Palmer, is much improved, and the defense that played well last season has not really dropped off.
Whether or not that will be enough to overtake any of the three teams projected to finish ahead of them remains to be seen, though Clayton believes the Cardinals will be in the race.
"You look at Arizona and you see a lot of good things are happening there," he said. "In this quagmire of close games...Arizona hasn't set itself apart, but you can see it's going to be somewhere in the mix."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!