Arizona Cardinals excited for TE Rob Housler's return
Housler was penciled in as the starter at TE before he suffered a high ankle sprain in the team's third preseason game. He had an impressive camp leading up to the injury and the Cardinals had high expectations for him this season.
"It's huge," said head coach Bruce Arians. "Having such a good spring and fall camp, and then to lose him for that amount of time was tough. He's another added dimension that we need."
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Housler creates problems for the opposing defense and that the whole offense will benefit from his presence.
"Rob is one of the fastest tight ends in the game and he creates tremendous matchup issues up the seams," Fitzgerald added. "Having that added dimension is only going to make us stronger. I'm really happy to have him back."
Housler, who's in his third year out of Florida Atlantic University, led Cardinals' tight ends in receptions in 2012 with 45 that resulted in 417 yards. At 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, he ran the 40-yard-dash in 4.46 seconds at the 2011 NFL Combine.
Another person that is excited for Housler's return is offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, who now gets to use the tight end's speed and size in the team's game plan.
"Obviously he's going to be a huge plus for us having him out there," Goodwin said. "They've got to match up against him. He's a tight end with speed, wide receiver type speed, so defensively they're going to have to do something. If they don't, he's going to have a huge day."
The Saints have defended well against tight ends so far this season, allowing just four receptions for 70 yards, so it appears Housler may have his work cut out for him.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.