Arizona Cardinals excited for TE Rob Housler's return
Housler was penciled in as the starter at TE before he suffered a high ankle sprain in the team's third preseason game. He had an impressive camp leading up to the injury and the Cardinals had high expectations for him this season.
"It's huge," said head coach Bruce Arians. "Having such a good spring and fall camp, and then to lose him for that amount of time was tough. He's another added dimension that we need."
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Housler creates problems for the opposing defense and that the whole offense will benefit from his presence.
"Rob is one of the fastest tight ends in the game and he creates tremendous matchup issues up the seams," Fitzgerald added. "Having that added dimension is only going to make us stronger. I'm really happy to have him back."
Housler, who's in his third year out of Florida Atlantic University, led Cardinals' tight ends in receptions in 2012 with 45 that resulted in 417 yards. At 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, he ran the 40-yard-dash in 4.46 seconds at the 2011 NFL Combine.
Another person that is excited for Housler's return is offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, who now gets to use the tight end's speed and size in the team's game plan.
"Obviously he's going to be a huge plus for us having him out there," Goodwin said. "They've got to match up against him. He's a tight end with speed, wide receiver type speed, so defensively they're going to have to do something. If they don't, he's going to have a huge day."
The Saints have defended well against tight ends so far this season, allowing just four receptions for 70 yards, so it appears Housler may have his work cut out for him.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.