Arizona Cardinals excited for TE Rob Housler's return
Housler was penciled in as the starter at TE before he suffered a high ankle sprain in the team's third preseason game. He had an impressive camp leading up to the injury and the Cardinals had high expectations for him this season.
"It's huge," said head coach Bruce Arians. "Having such a good spring and fall camp, and then to lose him for that amount of time was tough. He's another added dimension that we need."
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Housler creates problems for the opposing defense and that the whole offense will benefit from his presence.
"Rob is one of the fastest tight ends in the game and he creates tremendous matchup issues up the seams," Fitzgerald added. "Having that added dimension is only going to make us stronger. I'm really happy to have him back."
Housler, who's in his third year out of Florida Atlantic University, led Cardinals' tight ends in receptions in 2012 with 45 that resulted in 417 yards. At 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, he ran the 40-yard-dash in 4.46 seconds at the 2011 NFL Combine.
Another person that is excited for Housler's return is offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, who now gets to use the tight end's speed and size in the team's game plan.
"Obviously he's going to be a huge plus for us having him out there," Goodwin said. "They've got to match up against him. He's a tight end with speed, wide receiver type speed, so defensively they're going to have to do something. If they don't, he's going to have a huge day."
The Saints have defended well against tight ends so far this season, allowing just four receptions for 70 yards, so it appears Housler may have his work cut out for him.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!