Arizona Cardinals excited for TE Rob Housler's return
Housler was penciled in as the starter at TE before he suffered a high ankle sprain in the team's third preseason game. He had an impressive camp leading up to the injury and the Cardinals had high expectations for him this season.
"It's huge," said head coach Bruce Arians. "Having such a good spring and fall camp, and then to lose him for that amount of time was tough. He's another added dimension that we need."
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Housler creates problems for the opposing defense and that the whole offense will benefit from his presence.
"Rob is one of the fastest tight ends in the game and he creates tremendous matchup issues up the seams," Fitzgerald added. "Having that added dimension is only going to make us stronger. I'm really happy to have him back."
Housler, who's in his third year out of Florida Atlantic University, led Cardinals' tight ends in receptions in 2012 with 45 that resulted in 417 yards. At 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, he ran the 40-yard-dash in 4.46 seconds at the 2011 NFL Combine.
Another person that is excited for Housler's return is offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, who now gets to use the tight end's speed and size in the team's game plan.
"Obviously he's going to be a huge plus for us having him out there," Goodwin said. "They've got to match up against him. He's a tight end with speed, wide receiver type speed, so defensively they're going to have to do something. If they don't, he's going to have a huge day."
The Saints have defended well against tight ends so far this season, allowing just four receptions for 70 yards, so it appears Housler may have his work cut out for him.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.