Updated Sep 22, 2013 - 12:55 pm
Cardinals DT Williams' father dies in accident
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Arizona Cardinals starting defensive tackle Dan Williams is not with the team for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints because he was excused for the death of his father, who was killed in a car wreck.
Team spokesman Mark Dalton says Thomas Williams was en route from the family's home in Memphis to New Orleans, with plans to see his son play in Sunday's game, when the accident occurred in the vicinity of Jackson, Miss.
Dalton says the team did not have details on precisely when the accident occurred, only that Williams received word before the Cardinals traveled to New Orleans on Saturday.
Dalton says Dan William's mother and sister also were in the car and were both hospitalized, but are expected to recover from their injuries.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.