Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Team misses Daryl Washington
Washington was slapped with a four-game suspension for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, and the Cardinals have missed his presence in the middle of the defense.
But more than his presence, Arizona has missed Washington's pass rushing ability and his skill in covering tight ends down the field.
In three games this season, opposing tight ends have gashed the Cardinals' defense for 23 catches for 346 yards and four touchdowns. All of last season with Washington on the field, the Cards allowed 48 catches for 713 yards and six touchdowns.
"You look at the two games we've lost and what's the common denominator," Cardinals' general manager Steve Keim asked Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday morning. "It's the fact that we've really struggled against elite tight ends. Obviously (New Orleans') Jimmy Graham is an elite tight and Jared Cook in St. Louis is a guy who has got potential and is doing some nice things."
But Keim wasn't willing to give all the credit to the Cardinals' 2013 opponents. He admitted that a big part of the problem is Washington's absence.
"Speed at the linebacker position and a cover linebacker who can run and carry the seam and match man-for-man movement with those big, athletic tight ends -- that's something we're probably missing right now," Keim said. "Obviously we have one more game without Daryl, but I truly believe we sorely miss his action out there."
Next up for the Cardinals is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are 0-3 and have completed only four passes to tight ends this season for just 44 yards.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.