Cards' Alexander not discouraged by season-ending injury
Alexander's ability to understand defensive schemes and mentor younger players also played a major role — and that's one he'll be around to fill despite being placed on season-ending injured reserve on Monday with a Lisfranc injury.
"A lot of the time, IR guys just kind of disappear and become ghosts," Alexander said. "I told the coaches I'll be in a lot. I know they brought me in for more than just football. My role is to facilitate the learning process for the guys they bring in.
"We have a lot of guys hurt now and a lot of younger guys will be in critical situations. Any way I can speed up their learning curve, I'm gonna be there to do it."
Matt Shaughnessy and John Abraham — who bring 19 years of combined NFL experience — will likely fill the void left at Alexander's weak-side linebacker spot, and the team elevated third-year linebacker Dontay Moch from its practice squad Monday for additional depth.
Alexander said he'll undergo surgery Tuesday, and that Robert Anderson — a North Carolina-based surgeon who's widely recognized as an expert on LIsfranc injuries — will perform the operation. Alexander added that this is the first time suffering a season-ending injury in 17 years of playing organized football.
Alexander said he's also seen defensive lineman Dan Williams go through enough this week — his dad was killed in a car crash while driving to New Orleans for Sunday's game — to remind him that a foot injury is just a minor setback.
"Just because this isn't part of what I thought would happen doesn't mean I should be sad or down," Alexander said. "The situation with Dan and his dad, it puts into perspective that this is temporary."
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.