Pro Football Focus: Cardinals' Palmer poor under pressure
In the team's 31-7 defeat, Palmer completed 18-of-35 passes for 187 yards and threw interceptions while not registering a touchdown. His quarterback rating was 43.4, his lowest since Dec. 11, 2011, when he was with the Oakland Raiders.
While the offensive line could do a better job protecting Palmer, as he was sacked four times, he has not done well when the pressure has reached him. According to Pro Football Focus, he could not have been much worse.
He struggled when pressured, completing just one of nine attempts here and throwing a pick to leave him an imperfect 0.0 QB rating.
When a quarterback struggles against pressure it makes those instances stand out far more, and as a result can leave you exiting a game thinking there was a ton more pressure than there actually was. Take this game for example, on 39 drop-backs he was pressured on a third of them. Not great from the protection unit by any stretch, but not as bad as it seems, especially with one of the sacks being the result of Palmer getting spooked and climbing the pocket in such a way that his linemen would lose their leverage (Q3, 8:27).
Though Palmer got off to a good start against the St. Louis Rams, in the two games since, he's struggled to maintain that performance. Improving the offensive line play is clearly the top priority for the Cardinals' offense, but as PFF pointed out, they haven't been as dreadful as it appears.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.