Pro Football Focus: Cardinals' Palmer poor under pressure
In the team's 31-7 defeat, Palmer completed 18-of-35 passes for 187 yards and threw interceptions while not registering a touchdown. His quarterback rating was 43.4, his lowest since Dec. 11, 2011, when he was with the Oakland Raiders.
While the offensive line could do a better job protecting Palmer, as he was sacked four times, he has not done well when the pressure has reached him. According to Pro Football Focus, he could not have been much worse.
He struggled when pressured, completing just one of nine attempts here and throwing a pick to leave him an imperfect 0.0 QB rating.
When a quarterback struggles against pressure it makes those instances stand out far more, and as a result can leave you exiting a game thinking there was a ton more pressure than there actually was. Take this game for example, on 39 drop-backs he was pressured on a third of them. Not great from the protection unit by any stretch, but not as bad as it seems, especially with one of the sacks being the result of Palmer getting spooked and climbing the pocket in such a way that his linemen would lose their leverage (Q3, 8:27).
Though Palmer got off to a good start against the St. Louis Rams, in the two games since, he's struggled to maintain that performance. Improving the offensive line play is clearly the top priority for the Cardinals' offense, but as PFF pointed out, they haven't been as dreadful as it appears.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.