Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 8:34 am
Arizona Cardinals to face Tampa Bay rookie QB Mike Glennon Sunday
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, league sources told him that Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano has made the decision to bench quarterback Josh Freeman in favor of rookie third-round draft pick Mike Glennon, who will start Sunday when the Buccaneers play host to the Arizona Cardinals.
Freeman, a former first-round pick, became Tampa Bay's starter midway through his rookie season in 2009. Since then, he's compiled a 24-35 record. This season, Freeman has completed only 45.7 percent of his passes for 571 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions. His passer rating of 59.3 is the worst mark in the league among 33 qualified quarterbacks.
Glennon, out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft, behind Buffalo's EJ Manuel (first round, 16th pick) and Geno Smith of the Jets (second round, 39th pick). The 6-foot-7 Glennon threw for 4,031 yards and 31 touchdowns in his senior season for the Wolfpack.
He has yet to take a snap in a regular-season NFL game, but did complete 33-of-70 passes for 397 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.