Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 10:42 am
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on facing rookie QB Glennon: 'We should have an advantage'
Tha changed Wednesday when Bucs head coach Greg Schiano pulled the trigger on a quarterback change, benching Freeman in favor of Mike Glennon, who will be making his first NFL start against Arizona.
So, exactly how much does that change Arizona's defensive game plan?
"It really does, but you prepare for their offense," Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday. "Josh (Freeman) brought special things as far as athleticism, Mike (Glennon) brings a big, strong arm."
As is usually the case, there is a bit of a surprise element when a quarterback change is made, especially so early in the season.
"They obviously felt it was needed, I don't know why, not being a part of their organization," Arians said. "But any time you face a rookie quarterback, you know that it's his first time out there.
"We should have an advantage, I think."
Glennon, a third-round pick out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft in April. While he has yet to take a snap in the regular season, Glennon did throw for 397 yards and three touchdowns in four preseason contests for Tampa Bay.
"I loved him," Arians said when asked about his impressions of Glennon entering the draft. "Big, strong arm, big, tall guy. I knew his older brother, good family, good football family.
"He's tough, a good leader. Obviously, he supplanted Russell Wilson (at North Carolina State), so that says a lot about him."
Glennon will be the fourth rookie quarterback since 2010 to make his first professional start against the Cardinals.
In 2010, Arizona beat St. Louis 17-13 in Sam Bradford's debut. On Opening Day 2011, the Cardinals survived a 422-yard outburst from Carolina's Cam Newton to beat the Panthers 28-21. And in the 2012 season-opener, Arizona defeated Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks 20-16.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham's statement
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.