Updated Sep 25, 2013 - 10:42 am
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on facing rookie QB Glennon: 'We should have an advantage'
Tha changed Wednesday when Bucs head coach Greg Schiano pulled the trigger on a quarterback change, benching Freeman in favor of Mike Glennon, who will be making his first NFL start against Arizona.
So, exactly how much does that change Arizona's defensive game plan?
"It really does, but you prepare for their offense," Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said Wednesday. "Josh (Freeman) brought special things as far as athleticism, Mike (Glennon) brings a big, strong arm."
As is usually the case, there is a bit of a surprise element when a quarterback change is made, especially so early in the season.
"They obviously felt it was needed, I don't know why, not being a part of their organization," Arians said. "But any time you face a rookie quarterback, you know that it's his first time out there.
"We should have an advantage, I think."
Glennon, a third-round pick out of North Carolina State, was the third quarterback selected in the 2013 NFL Draft in April. While he has yet to take a snap in the regular season, Glennon did throw for 397 yards and three touchdowns in four preseason contests for Tampa Bay.
"I loved him," Arians said when asked about his impressions of Glennon entering the draft. "Big, strong arm, big, tall guy. I knew his older brother, good family, good football family.
"He's tough, a good leader. Obviously, he supplanted Russell Wilson (at North Carolina State), so that says a lot about him."
Glennon will be the fourth rookie quarterback since 2010 to make his first professional start against the Cardinals.
In 2010, Arizona beat St. Louis 17-13 in Sam Bradford's debut. On Opening Day 2011, the Cardinals survived a 422-yard outburst from Carolina's Cam Newton to beat the Panthers 28-21. And in the 2012 season-opener, Arizona defeated Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks 20-16.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.