Updated Sep 26, 2013 - 11:50 am
Cardinals' Okafor disappointed about lost season, opportunity
Despite the injury, Okafor, a fourth round draft pick out of Texas, remains optimistic.
"I was a little disappointed, it was my opportunity to kind of step in and help the team out but unfortunate things happen," Okafor said. "It's in the past and I just got to look forward to next season."
Okafor added he could have tried to play through the injury but decided it was in his best interest to have the surgery.
"At this point in my career, it wasn't worth playing through," Okafor said. "I still have a lot of football left in me and I don't want that to be a hampering injury throughout my career."
The injury occurred during Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints on a special teams play. Okafor attempted to grab an opposing player, but the Saint, "kind of ran through my arm, kind of overextended it and it popped." He said the adrenaline numbed the pain until after the game, at which point he knew something was wrong.
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
- Tommy Kelly happy to be wanted, with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves