Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald wants to change team's Tampa history
That's because the last time was the biggest game in franchise history. Sunday, February 1, 2009, the Cardinals played the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII -- a game the Cardinals actually led with under three minutes left.
Only six players who made that trip to Tampa are still with the organization, including wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald capped one of the best individual postseasons in NFL history in that Super Bowl with a two-touchdown performance. His second score, a 64-yard reception from quarterback Kurt Warner, gave Arizona a three-point lead with just 2:37 remaining in the game.
Despite his success in that game, Raymond James Stadium isn't one of the Pro Bowl receiver's favorite places.
"No, I don't have any good memories from this stadium, at all," Fitzgerald said Thursday. "Two losses. I'd love to be able to turn that around and get a win down here."
The other loss happened in Week 9 of the 2007 season. The Bucs beat the Cardinals 17-10 as Arizona mustered only 23 rushing yards and Warner completed just 10-of-30 passes for 172 yards and threw two interceptions. Fitzgerald had four catches for 95 yards in the defeat.
There is one similarity between this trip to Tampa and the Cardinals' last -- the length of time the team is spending there. After a loss in New Orleans last Sunday, the Cardinals opted to travel straight to Florida instead of heading home to Arizona to practice. Inclement weather in the area has made their stay challenging, to say the least.
"It's just an adjustment for us, we'd all love to be at home, in our normal routines and things like that, but they felt this was the best move for us, so we've got to deal with it," Fitzgerald said.
"Like (Wednesday), guys could have said 'the heck with it, it's wet out here, it's raining, we don't want to be out here,' but we had a good day's work, we got better when it easily could have been a throwaway day."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!