Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 9:09 am
ESPN's John Clayton: Bucs quarterback Mike Glennon 'not ready for prime time'
"To make this move now, to me, is very curious," Clayton told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "Because when you looked at the preseason, Mike Glennon wasn't there. And even people who are watching him in the preseason say he's not ready for prime time at this stage.
"He's kind of statuesque, and that's not a real positive, in the pocket -- I mean he is kind of like a statue anyway when he throws."
Clayton cited Glennon's struggles in the preseason as well. The North Carolina State product completed just 47.1 percent (33-of-70) of his throws for 397 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in four exhibition games.
There are other factors which Clayton believes will make things difficult for Glennon in his maiden NFL voyage.
"Has (Bucs head coach) Greg Schiano not looked at the injury list," he asked. "Vincent Jackson has not practiced this week. Also, Mike Williams has not practiced this week. There's a chance that one or two of those guys aren't going to be able to play.
"To put in a quarterback, who in his last preseason game completed 43 percent of his passes? Very curious."
When the Bucs made the move earlier this week, Arizona head coach Bruce Arians said he thought it gave the Cardinals an advantage.
Glennon replaces Josh Freeman, who became Tampa Bay's starting quarterback during his rookie season in 2009 and has compiled a 24-35 record in his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals sign a pair of defensive lineman
- All-Access with Arians: Dockett to have surgery, Mathieu and Ta'amu back
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.