Back so soon? Rashad Johnson may play for Arizona Cardinals Sunday
The fifth-year pro, who lost part of the middle finger on his left hand during the team's 31-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints last week, says he's getting closer to a return.
"I was able to move around and do everything that I needed to do," he said Friday.
Johnson noted that there is no pad work on Fridays and there are still things he needs to prove he can do before he'll play again, but when the time comes he will not be concerned about the finger.
Johnson said he'll be wearing a cast on the hand, and that when he does play again, he will do so without any hesitation.
"Just going to go out, let it loose and play ball," he said. "Can't really go out and play in fear; that's when you make mistakes and big plays happen."
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is not worried about Johnson, either, saying he believes the safety can play in a backup role and on special teams.
"His leadership is something I value and I'd like to have him out there," he said.
And Johnson would like to be out there. Listed as "questionable" on the official injury report, it appears the 27-year-old may find his way onto the field, at least in some capacity.
Saying his pain is now a "four out of a 10," Johnson admitted while he wants to play, he has to be smart about things and let the doctors make the decision on whether or not he should.
But when he does play, Johnson is confident the cast will not be much of a hindrance to his game, though he'll have to "body catch" interceptions.
"And you know, show off my one-handed skills if I have to."
The Arizona Cardinals Broadcast Department contributed to this report
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bradley Sowell, offensive line bounce back for Arizona Cardinals
- What a difference a year makes for Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?