Updated Oct 2, 2013 - 9:38 am
Former Cardinals QB Warner: Levi Brown trade 'surprising'
However, while Brown was never charged with protecting Warner's "blind side," the QB, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, has seen the tackle's work up close.
Wednesday morning, Brown was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, ending a disappointing run in the desert.
"A little bit surprising, obviously," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning about the deal, noting that the team re-signed him to a contract last year and had him in the starting lineup this year. "He's struggled at times this year.
"But, I think, on the same note, I'm surprised that Pittsburgh went and traded for him with the fact that he hasn't played necessarily great football up to this point in the season."
That is not to say Warner, who is now an analyst for the NFL Network, believes Brown is a lost cause. The future Hall of Famer said Brown is "extremely physically talented," but struggles with the techniques of being an NFL tackle.
"So much of what separates good from great is the ability to have great technique and to rely on that in different situations," he said.
Warner said the 29-year-old Brown needs to figure that part of the game out because, regardless of how talented he may be, it will be the difference in his career.
"But he definitely has physical talent."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b