Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson: 'I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game'
Going to the Pro Bowl in each of one's first two seasons and generally being regarded as one of the NFL's best at one's position will do that.
The third-year pro has often said that his goal is to be the best cornerback in the game, and his head coach Bruce Arians has stated he believes Peterson is just that. And in an interview with Pro Football Talk, Peterson said he appreciates his coach's confidence in him and doesn't disagree with the assessment.
"I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game," Peterson said. "I just want to continue getting better each and every week. I'm pleasured to have that opportunity each and every week to go up against the offense's best receiver, and I believe if you can do that week in and week out there's no question that you can be, that you are the number one defensive back in the league."
Peterson, who has intercepted 11 passes in 36 games played, is generally assigned to cover the opposing team's top wide receiver. He got off to a bit of a rocky start this season, as quarterbacks had compiled a perfect rating of 158.3 when targeting the former LSU star through the first three games, but his two interceptions last Sunday in Tampa led the Cardinals to a win and Peterson to the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.
So whether Peterson is the best cornerback in the league or not, he's certainly in the conversation.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.