Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson: 'I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game'
Going to the Pro Bowl in each of one's first two seasons and generally being regarded as one of the NFL's best at one's position will do that.
The third-year pro has often said that his goal is to be the best cornerback in the game, and his head coach Bruce Arians has stated he believes Peterson is just that. And in an interview with Pro Football Talk, Peterson said he appreciates his coach's confidence in him and doesn't disagree with the assessment.
"I definitely feel that I am the best corner in the game," Peterson said. "I just want to continue getting better each and every week. I'm pleasured to have that opportunity each and every week to go up against the offense's best receiver, and I believe if you can do that week in and week out there's no question that you can be, that you are the number one defensive back in the league."
Peterson, who has intercepted 11 passes in 36 games played, is generally assigned to cover the opposing team's top wide receiver. He got off to a bit of a rocky start this season, as quarterbacks had compiled a perfect rating of 158.3 when targeting the former LSU star through the first three games, but his two interceptions last Sunday in Tampa led the Cardinals to a win and Peterson to the NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.
So whether Peterson is the best cornerback in the league or not, he's certainly in the conversation.
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.