Cardinals' Housler looking forward to matchup with Panthers' Kuechly
Though Housler hasn't quite made an impact since returning from his preseason ankle injury, head coach Bruce Arians said he's seen improvement from his tight end in the last few weeks and expects his performance to pick up.
"He's had two really good weeks of practice, he's full speed," Arians said. "He just needs to catch the ball better.
Housler has a tough task this Sunday, however, going against Panthers' linebacker Luke Kuechly. The 2012 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year has become one of the best inside linebackers in football, and Housler said he's been preparing for good battle with the second-year player.
"He's the kind of player defensively you've got to scheme for," Housler said. "He's pretty dynamic in the way he plays, coverage and the run game. As far as tight ends go, he's got the athleticism and size to run with you and cover you and it's going to be a challenge this week."
Housler is used to being the one creating the mismatches with his own size and speed, but he acknowledged it will be a team effort getting Kuechly off his game.
"If you can run the ball effectively and get him to play the run game and get over the top of him, that's probably the best way," Housler said, before adding, "He's so fast, he'll probably recover."
Housler, in his third year out of Florida Atlantic, led Arizona tight ends with 45 receptions and 417 yards in 2012. Carolina has allowed just 225.7 yards per game in the air this season, ranking 12th in the NFL.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.