Arizona Cardinals' Rashad Johnson to miss second straight game
Two weeks ago at New Orleans, Johnson had the top of his left middle finger severed and has not suited up since.
He practiced on a limited basis Friday, and head coach Bruce Arians sounded optimistic afterward that Johnson would be able to suit up against the Panthers.
"It's just a matter how much he can function with the cast on," Arians said.
With Johnson sidelined, rookie Tyrann Mathieu will make his second straight start.
The Cardinals do welcome back two other starters, however.
Linebacker Daryl Washington returns having completed his league-imposed four-game suspension, and nose tackle Dan Williams will play his first game since he received the news his father had died just prior to the team traveling to New Orleans.
The defense also welcomes back rookie linebacker Kevin Minter, who had missed the past two weeks because of a hamstring injury. His return is key because fellow linebacker Jasper Brinkley will not play; he's out with a groin injury.
Left guard Daryn Colledge is dressed. He had been questionable because of a shin injury, but he'll play his 117th consecutive game, the second-longest streak in the NFL among offensive lineman.
Colledge will line up next to Bradley Sowell, the team's new left tackle after the trade of Levi Brown to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Other inactives: Quarterback Ryan Lindley, wide receiver Kerry Taylor, running back Ryan Williams, tackle Bobby Massie and tight end D.C. Jefferson.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.