Arizona Cardinals' Rashad Johnson to miss second straight game
Two weeks ago at New Orleans, Johnson had the top of his left middle finger severed and has not suited up since.
He practiced on a limited basis Friday, and head coach Bruce Arians sounded optimistic afterward that Johnson would be able to suit up against the Panthers.
"It's just a matter how much he can function with the cast on," Arians said.
With Johnson sidelined, rookie Tyrann Mathieu will make his second straight start.
The Cardinals do welcome back two other starters, however.
Linebacker Daryl Washington returns having completed his league-imposed four-game suspension, and nose tackle Dan Williams will play his first game since he received the news his father had died just prior to the team traveling to New Orleans.
The defense also welcomes back rookie linebacker Kevin Minter, who had missed the past two weeks because of a hamstring injury. His return is key because fellow linebacker Jasper Brinkley will not play; he's out with a groin injury.
Left guard Daryn Colledge is dressed. He had been questionable because of a shin injury, but he'll play his 117th consecutive game, the second-longest streak in the NFL among offensive lineman.
Colledge will line up next to Bradley Sowell, the team's new left tackle after the trade of Levi Brown to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Other inactives: Quarterback Ryan Lindley, wide receiver Kerry Taylor, running back Ryan Williams, tackle Bobby Massie and tight end D.C. Jefferson.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.