Cards' coach Arians: Campbell was best defensive player vs. Panthers
Following the Cardinals' dominant defensive performance Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, there are a few Glendale-based candidates for the weekly award, which will be given out Wednesday.
Daryl Washington, Karlos Dansby and Calais Campbell all starred in the 22-6 win, each bringing outstanding play to the contest. Linebackers Washington and Dansby had nine and eight tackles respectively, and several for a loss, while each grabbing an interception and a pair of sacks.
But when head coach Bruce Arians was asked whose performance was best while a guest on the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, the performance of his defensive end won his personal defensive player of the week honors.
"If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Calais ," he said.
"Both linebackers had a whale of a game but when you have two sacks, one for a safety and two tackles for a loss, two quarterback hits and a forced fumble -- that's a pretty good stat line."
Campbell, meanwhile, lauded Washington's sensational performance following the game.
"D-Wash is special," he said. "He's the best linebacker in the game."
Though giving his vote to Campbell, Arians was clear that Washington's performance was outstanding during a different part of the interview.
"He got a game ball," he said. "Yeah, it was big."
Washington was suspended for the first four weeks of the season, making Sunday's start his 2013 debut.
"He's a whale of a player and it's great to have him back," Arians went on.
NFL Week 5 NFC and AFC offensive, defensive and special teams players of the week will be announced Wednesday at 3:00 a.m. MDT on ‘NFL AM', which airs on NFL Network.
- Arizona Cardinals training camp -- Monday observations
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.