Cards' coach Arians: Campbell was best defensive player vs. Panthers
Following the Cardinals' dominant defensive performance Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, there are a few Glendale-based candidates for the weekly award, which will be given out Wednesday.
Daryl Washington, Karlos Dansby and Calais Campbell all starred in the 22-6 win, each bringing outstanding play to the contest. Linebackers Washington and Dansby had nine and eight tackles respectively, and several for a loss, while each grabbing an interception and a pair of sacks.
But when head coach Bruce Arians was asked whose performance was best while a guest on the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, the performance of his defensive end won his personal defensive player of the week honors.
"If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Calais ," he said.
"Both linebackers had a whale of a game but when you have two sacks, one for a safety and two tackles for a loss, two quarterback hits and a forced fumble -- that's a pretty good stat line."
Campbell, meanwhile, lauded Washington's sensational performance following the game.
"D-Wash is special," he said. "He's the best linebacker in the game."
Though giving his vote to Campbell, Arians was clear that Washington's performance was outstanding during a different part of the interview.
"He got a game ball," he said. "Yeah, it was big."
Washington was suspended for the first four weeks of the season, making Sunday's start his 2013 debut.
"He's a whale of a player and it's great to have him back," Arians went on.
NFL Week 5 NFC and AFC offensive, defensive and special teams players of the week will be announced Wednesday at 3:00 a.m. MDT on ‘NFL AM', which airs on NFL Network.
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.