Cards' coach Arians: Campbell was best defensive player vs. Panthers
Following the Cardinals' dominant defensive performance Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, there are a few Glendale-based candidates for the weekly award, which will be given out Wednesday.
Daryl Washington, Karlos Dansby and Calais Campbell all starred in the 22-6 win, each bringing outstanding play to the contest. Linebackers Washington and Dansby had nine and eight tackles respectively, and several for a loss, while each grabbing an interception and a pair of sacks.
But when head coach Bruce Arians was asked whose performance was best while a guest on the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, the performance of his defensive end won his personal defensive player of the week honors.
"If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Calais ," he said.
"Both linebackers had a whale of a game but when you have two sacks, one for a safety and two tackles for a loss, two quarterback hits and a forced fumble -- that's a pretty good stat line."
Campbell, meanwhile, lauded Washington's sensational performance following the game.
"D-Wash is special," he said. "He's the best linebacker in the game."
Though giving his vote to Campbell, Arians was clear that Washington's performance was outstanding during a different part of the interview.
"He got a game ball," he said. "Yeah, it was big."
Washington was suspended for the first four weeks of the season, making Sunday's start his 2013 debut.
"He's a whale of a player and it's great to have him back," Arians went on.
NFL Week 5 NFC and AFC offensive, defensive and special teams players of the week will be announced Wednesday at 3:00 a.m. MDT on ‘NFL AM', which airs on NFL Network.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.