Cards' coach Arians: Campbell was best defensive player vs. Panthers
Following the Cardinals' dominant defensive performance Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, there are a few Glendale-based candidates for the weekly award, which will be given out Wednesday.
Daryl Washington, Karlos Dansby and Calais Campbell all starred in the 22-6 win, each bringing outstanding play to the contest. Linebackers Washington and Dansby had nine and eight tackles respectively, and several for a loss, while each grabbing an interception and a pair of sacks.
But when head coach Bruce Arians was asked whose performance was best while a guest on the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, the performance of his defensive end won his personal defensive player of the week honors.
"If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Calais ," he said.
"Both linebackers had a whale of a game but when you have two sacks, one for a safety and two tackles for a loss, two quarterback hits and a forced fumble -- that's a pretty good stat line."
Campbell, meanwhile, lauded Washington's sensational performance following the game.
"D-Wash is special," he said. "He's the best linebacker in the game."
Though giving his vote to Campbell, Arians was clear that Washington's performance was outstanding during a different part of the interview.
"He got a game ball," he said. "Yeah, it was big."
Washington was suspended for the first four weeks of the season, making Sunday's start his 2013 debut.
"He's a whale of a player and it's great to have him back," Arians went on.
NFL Week 5 NFC and AFC offensive, defensive and special teams players of the week will be announced Wednesday at 3:00 a.m. MDT on ‘NFL AM', which airs on NFL Network.
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves