Cardinals' Arians, Peterson embrace defensive identity
For head coach Bruce Arians, that's exactly what he had in mind when taking over the Cardinals, saying he supports being known as a defensive-first team.
"I love it," Arians said. "That's always been my motto and we want to be dominant on defense. We'll scratch some points out, but we always want to be a dominating defensive football team."
Star cornerback Patrick Peterson, who has three interceptions on the year, agrees with that mentality.
"The saying always stands true: ‘Defense wins championships,'" Peterson said. "If we want to be a good ball club, our defense must be strong."
The Cardinals are coming off a strong defensive year in 2012, but a tough schedule, inactive players and getting used to a new coaching staff might have hidden the true talent level of the group. With tough matchups coming up in the next two weeks, against San Francisco and Seattle, Arians remains confident in his defense.
"I think our defense matches up with everybody," Arians said. "We've got good speed. We're starting to understand the defense better each week."
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.