Updated Oct 11, 2013 - 5:29 pm
ESPN's John Clayton talks Carson Palmer's picks, Larry Fitzgerald's production
ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton told Doug & Wolf Friday that he's not overly surprised about Palmer's interceptions, but there are two other statistics that make him worry about the Cardinals' signal caller.
"Right now, he's only completed like 3-of-20 passes downfield of 15 yards or more," Clayton said. "And his game has been the downfield throws."
Besides Palmer's inability to complete the long ball, Clayton said he's also worried about wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald's low number of receptions through five games.
"I don't know if it's (Fitzgerald's) hamstring, I don't know if it's Carson Palmer, but 24 catches for Larry Fitzgerald in now five games that's not Larry Fitzgerald numbers you anticipate," the analyst said.
One could argue Fitzgerald didn't put up his usual numbers last year either: He finished with 798 yards (second lowest of his career) and four touchdowns (lowest of his career) in 2012. Perhaps the Cardinals' quarterback situation hasn't improved as much as they thought it had with their offseason acquisitions of Palmer and Drew Stanton.
On the bright side, Clayton pointed out Palmer is still on pace to reach 4,000 passing yards, as the 33-year-old did last season in Oakland.
"And if you put a 4,000-yard thrower on the Cardinals, that's going to win 6, 7, 8 games," Clayton said. "It's interesting to see the things you did expect (from Palmer) not happening -- him linking up with Fitzgerald; him getting the ball downfield. I mean, you knew he was going to throw the picks; that's just Carson Palmer."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals new left tackle - Wednesday March 12Jared Veldheer discusses his recent signing with the Cardinals.
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.