Arizona Cardinals' rookie RB Andre Ellington grateful for opportunity
"I'm very excited," Ellington said. "I'm just excited to be in the NFL, it's a dream come true."
Ellington was a sixth round pick out of Clemson and had to fight his way out of a crowded running back corps during training camp. Even after he made the regular season squad, Ellington didn't get a carry until their second game. He has since established himself as a reliable option out of the backfield as both a rusher and pass-catcher.
The Cardinals have also paired him with Rashard Mendenhall, and the two backs have developed a partnership that might finally give the team the running attack it's been searching for.
"He's more of the pounder," Ellington said. "I'm more of the guy that can come in there and change up the place a little bit. So far, we're working good hand-in-hand so hopefully we can keep that going."
Some have been surprised by Ellington's early success, and that includes the running back, who believed he could perform but didn't think he would get the chance to show it so quickly.
"I was always expecting to go out and play, because I know what I'm capable of," Ellington explained. "It just came to me faster than I thought I would. I guess that goes back to all of the hard work I put in in the offseason."
Ellington is coming off an impressive performance in Arizona's defeat of the Carolina Panthers, racking up 83 total yards. That will be tough to repeat this Sunday as he goes up against the vaunted San Francisco 49ers' defense. However, Ellington welcomes the opportunity and looks at it as just another game.
"I just take on that challenge and try to help our team win football games," Ellington said.
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.