Cards' Dan Williams welcomes normalcy in return from tragedy
Williams missed a pair of games after his father was killed while driving to New Orleans for the Cardinals' Week 3 game against the Saints, but the fourth-year pro returned to action for the Cardinals against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"The thing that takes your mind off tragedy is football," said Williams, who recorded a tackle in the Cardinals' 22-6 win Sunday. "It helps to get some kind of normalcy in my life."
Williams said he experienced a similar situation during his senior year at Tennessee, when his paternal grandmother died during the week of the Volunteers' season opener. The wreck that killed Williams' father also hospitalized his sister and mother, though both were expected to recover from their injuries.
Williams said that it "meant a lot" to him that team president Michael Bidwill and eight other team members attended the funeral.
"I definitely call the Arizona Cardinals my family," Williams said.
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.