Cardinals running back Andre Ellington: Despite loss, 'I feel like we got better' vs. 49ers
Ellington rushed for a team-high 53 yards on seven carries and scored his first career rushing touchdown from 15 yards out in the second quarter. He also caught five passes for 36 yards, as well.
While the rookie out of Clemson would seemingly serve as the perfect source for optimism Sunday, the former sixth-round pick believes the big takeaway has less to do with him and more to do with the adjustments Arizona's offense made in the second half.
"We just put our minds together," said Ellington. "We just went out there and executed. We knew what we had out there in front of us and tried to outplay those guys.
"Obviously turnovers kind of held us up, slowed us down offensively. And we just gave up points on defense."
Despite creating momentum with a nine-play touchdown drive in the third quarter, the Cardinals couldn't quite get over the hump over the final 20 minutes of play.
The turnovers Ellington alluded to -- fumbles by Larry Fitzgerald and Alfonso Smith -- thwarted a potential go-ahead scoring drive and comeback drive respectively.
In turn, San Francisco turned the two fumbles into 10 fourth quarter points and closed out Week 6 with a much-needed, 12-point victory at home.
"Any time you lose the turnover ratio, nine times out of 10 you're probably going to lose the game," said Ellington. "We've just got to eliminate those turnovers and get ready for Seattle."
While the focus will now turn to the Seahawks following a disappointing showing by the Bay, Ellington admitted that he reveled in the physicality of Sunday's game.
"I had fun out there, even though we didn't get the win," said Ellington. "I feel like we got better. We can go in and watch film and correct our mistakes."
Those mistakes will have to be corrected rather quickly. Arizona takes on Seattle Thursday night in an NFC West prime time battle at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!