Updated Oct 16, 2013 - 3:20 pm
Arizona Cardinals downplay lingering effects of 2012 blowout loss in Seattle
Not only was the 58-0 loss on Dec. 9, 2012, embarrassing in itself, but it became the lowest point of a once-promising campaign; it was the punctuation mark of the team's nine-game losing streak -- one that followed four straight wins to open the season. Surprisingly, Arizona came back and ended its losing streak the following week against Detroit, but the season was long lost by that point.
"Obviously we weren't ready last time," Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein said Monday. "And that was kind of the beginning to the end for us last year. We're going to go out there with the attitude to change things of how it happened last year.
"We're a different team. Most of the guys weren't even here last year for that."
Sendlein tried to brush the game off as irrelevant to the current Cardinals squad, but another answer he gives reveals that there may be some ripple effects still in play.
"Like I said, most of the guys that were on that team last year aren't here right now," he said. "And those who are, you know, that's something you don't forget when you go out there and experience that on the road -- a kind of low point of the season."
Head coach Bruce Arians, who wasn't with the team last year, said he hasn't heard any players talking about the loss to Seattle, but he offered his own take on the upcoming rematch.
"That was long, long ago. Don't really care about it," he said. "We're 3-3. They're 5-1. And that's all it's about."
With a shortened week of practice before the next game, Arians said his team will spend more time doing walk-thrus and recovering from Sunday's game in San Francisco, a 32-20 loss.
Seattle sits atop the NFC West at 5-1, and is the favorite in Thursday's game in Glendale.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.