Updated Oct 18, 2013 - 10:11 am
Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians on QB: 'If it's his decision making, then we'll make a change'
Thursday night in Glendale, quarterback Carson Palmer threw two interceptions, was sacked seven times and engineered an offense that mustered only 234 yards of offense in a 34-22 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.
Many of the red-clad fans in attendance have had enough of Palmer at quarterback, and are clamoring for backup Drew Stanton to get some playing time under center.
Palmer's interception total grew to 13 Thursday -- second-most in the league to Eli Manning of the New York Giants. But following the contest, Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said more goes into making a change at quarterback than just looking at the stat sheet.
"It's the reason for the interceptions," Arians said. "Is it (Palmer's) decision making? If it's his decision making, then we'll make a change.
"The first one, to me, was obvious pass interference and the safety makes a great play. The second one was just a poor decision. Those are the ones we have to look at."
The initial pick came on a first-and-ten play from the Cardinals' 41-yard line in the first quarter. Palmer targeted Larry Fitzgerald down the left sideline, but the ball was deflected by Brandon Browner and intercepted by safety Earl Thomas, who made a diving catch.
The second, and more concerning turnover came in the third quarter. With the Cardinals trailing 24-13 and facing a third-and-five from their own 46, Palmer looked for Michael Floyd, who had his jersey tugged on by Browner. In fact, Floyd ended up on his backside and Browner made the catch and returned it inside the Arizona five-yard line. Two plays later, Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch punched it in from two yards out, sealing the game.
When asked if he considered making a change at quarterbacks in the second half, Arians' reply was simple and direct.
"No," he said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.