Arians: Interceptions not Palmer's fault 'whatsoever'
The interceptions aren't Palmer's fault.
"Neither interception was his fault whatsoever," Arians said Friday. "He protected the ball like he needed to, and we've got to make better plays."
Arians said after Thursday's game that he's more concerned about Palmer's thought process than he is the end result, adding "If it's his decision-making, then we'll make a change."
But while Palmer is often an easy scapegoat for the Cardinals' offensive woes, Arizona's offense had been plagued by small mistakes, like receivers not breaking off a route when they should or having two receivers run routes in the same area.
Still, Palmer has struggled with decision making at times, trying to force throws when the offense is struggling or making a throw he shouldn't under pressure.
Palmer has thrown multiple interceptions in five of Arizona's seven games this season, something he did only twice with the Oakland Raiders in 2012. The 11-year pro out of Southern California has thrown 13 interceptions to just 8 touchdowns this season and has been sacked 20 times.
Despite Palmer's inconsistencies and struggles, Arians said the Cardinals offensive woes are the result of a poor offensive line. Palmer was sacked seven times for -54 yards Thursday, and the Cardinals averaged just 1.7 yards per carry.
Arians said Arizona's passing game would be facing the same issues with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning at the helm -- floundering behind a porous offensive line without a running game to turn to.
"When you get hit that many times, and you stand in there … I've got to give him credit for standing," Arians said.
"He's running for his life."
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.