Arians: Interceptions not Palmer's fault 'whatsoever'
The interceptions aren't Palmer's fault.
"Neither interception was his fault whatsoever," Arians said Friday. "He protected the ball like he needed to, and we've got to make better plays."
Arians said after Thursday's game that he's more concerned about Palmer's thought process than he is the end result, adding "If it's his decision-making, then we'll make a change."
But while Palmer is often an easy scapegoat for the Cardinals' offensive woes, Arizona's offense had been plagued by small mistakes, like receivers not breaking off a route when they should or having two receivers run routes in the same area.
Still, Palmer has struggled with decision making at times, trying to force throws when the offense is struggling or making a throw he shouldn't under pressure.
Palmer has thrown multiple interceptions in five of Arizona's seven games this season, something he did only twice with the Oakland Raiders in 2012. The 11-year pro out of Southern California has thrown 13 interceptions to just 8 touchdowns this season and has been sacked 20 times.
Despite Palmer's inconsistencies and struggles, Arians said the Cardinals offensive woes are the result of a poor offensive line. Palmer was sacked seven times for -54 yards Thursday, and the Cardinals averaged just 1.7 yards per carry.
Arians said Arizona's passing game would be facing the same issues with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning at the helm -- floundering behind a porous offensive line without a running game to turn to.
"When you get hit that many times, and you stand in there … I've got to give him credit for standing," Arians said.
"He's running for his life."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.