ESPN's Ron Jaworski: Dearth of quality quarterbacks in the NFL right now
ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski said Thursday while on Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo show that what's happening to the Cardinals at quarterback is part of a league-wide phenomenon.
"It's pretty scary, guys," Jaworski said pejoratively of some of the quarterbacks that NFL teams have on their roster.
He pointed to Atlanta's Dominique Davis, Pittsburgh's Bruce Gradkowski, Denver's Brock Osweiler and Cincinnati's Josh Johnson as examples of how teams are struggling to find serviceable backups.
"These are guys that have had literally no NFL experience, and they're one snap away from having to carry a team's fortunes," the analyst said.
He said he's not even sure if the league boasts 32 "competent" starting quarterbacks -- an average of one per team -- at this time. He also said a rash of injuries has further diluted the overall quality of the position.
"And I think the league is concerned," said Jaworski, who played quarterback for 14 years for the Rams, Eagles, Dolphins and Chiefs. "There have been an inordinate number of injuries, by my count."
There are such slim pickings at the position that St. Louis, which lost starting QB Sam Bradford to a torn ACL last Sunday, reportedly contacted Brett Favre to see if he had any interest in joining the team. Favre, who last played in 2010, turned down the offer.
Despite the perceived lack of talent at quarterback, Jaworski said things are looking up for the league in the near future.
"I actually think the quality coming out of college is much better than it was a few years ago," he said. "I think there's better coaching right now. There are more passing (offenses) that have NFL concepts.
"The feeder system is good."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.