Updated Oct 25, 2013 - 1:42 pm
Even if he starts, Arizona Cardinals' rookie Andre Ellington to see limited reps
A sixth-round pick out of Clemson, he is averaging 6.4 yards per carry on 28 rushing attempts, and has caught 20 passes for 190 yards. He has scored via the run and the pass, and has proven to be an effective weapon for Bruce Arians and the offense.
Yet, the coaching staff has maintained a desire to limit Ellington's reps, believing the 5-foot-9, 199-pound player is not built to handle an every-down back's workload.
He may see a bit of an increase in reps Sunday, though, as starting running back Rashard Mendenhall missed his third straight day of practice Friday and may not suit up when the Cardinals host the Atlanta Falcons.
"If Rashard can't go we'll start with Andre and then use Stepfan (Taylor)," Arians said Friday.
The most carries Ellington has received in a game thus far is seven, and he has had no more than 12 touches in any contest this season.
Ellington, who averaged just more than 15 carries per game his senior year at Clemson, said he does not have a "set number" of how many times he can touch the ball in a given game.
"I just go out there and play ball," he said. "If you start thinking about those things then you limit your skill set."
Ellington said he's already been playing the majority of offensive snaps anyway, adding that he's good with whatever role the coaching staff has in mind for him.
Offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, who said Ellington's success has not really been all that surprising, adding there is a balance between handling the rookie with care while trying to get maximum production from the dynamic running back.
"You've got to be careful and limit his snaps some, but we're going to try to feed him as much as we can without beating him up."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b